Ski Valet staff work at the Niseko Central Ski Valet situated in the same building as the Hirafu Gondola. They exchange guests' footwear for skis and snowboarding equipment that has been stored overnight. Ski Valet can be very busy but with a 2-hour break and being next to the Gondola there is plenty of ride-time too!
Start date: Early December 2019
Below is a brief description of what you would be doing on a day to day basis. This is not a comprehensive list, but it is what you would generally be doing:
Manning the Ski Valet from 08:00 to 17:00:
- The Ski Valet is where guests can store their skis, boots and poles or their snowboards and boots overnight, and their walking shoes while they ride.
- This is a convenient service offered by Niseko Central which is complimentary to our guests.
- The Ski Valet staff will often see guests very regularly and are encouraged to engage the guest both in conversation and to see if we at Niseko Central can do anything more for the guest.
Setting the Ski Valet up in the morning:
- Putting out signage and ensuring that items are tidy and tags are ready to go.
Storing and retrieving items for guests:
- When guests give you an item, give them a tag and store the item in the numbered area corresponding to the tag.
- When guests give you a tag, give them the item stored in the numbered area corresponding to that tab.
When items are misplaced in the Ski Valet, deal with the situations calmly and methodically to retrieve the guest’s item.
When tags are misplaced:
- Help the customer to locate their item in a calm and helpful manner.
- Follow up with the lost tag so that 5,000JPY can be charged for the lost tag. This will often be at your discretion.
Providing a tuning sales service to guests:
- Tuning and repairs are passed onto a ski tuning company who do this work for us.
- Ski Valet staff take sales, issue receipts and create work dockets for the work that the guests want done.
Crowd control to ensure that the flow of people through the Ski Valet service is ordered and efficient.
Getting other work done during quiet times as allocated by the day's Duty Manager.
Closing down in evening:
- Ensuring that the heater in the boot room is on.
- Ensuring that items and areas are tidy.
- Collecting in the signage.
- Locking up Ski Valet.
- ¥1,200 - ¥1,300 per hour (based on 2018/19 season rates, subject to change).
- 25% overtime rate for hours worked above prescribed working hours
- 25% late night work rate for work between 10pm and 5am.
- Early December 2019 to end of March 2020. Exact dates to be announced closer to the season.
- We start our staff with training to give you all you need to know about working for Niseko Central.
- Guaranteed work until end of contract, with the potential to extend, pending work availability.
- Generally 5 days per week, around 40 hours per week.
- This is likely to be higher during peak season (including some weeks where you may be required to work 6 days) and a little quieter during the start and ends of the season.
- Each of our accommodations is subsidised to bring you housing at an affordable price.
- Singles, twin shares (doubles for couples), to hexa shares in a range of locations to suit a variety of budgets.
- Your own Free Grand Hirafu season lift pass is offered.
- Most companies will give their staff access to shared Grand Hirafu passes; these are usually kept at work so it may stop you getting first lifts on powder days. Shared passes also cannot be upgraded to All Mountain passes (unless everyone sharing the pass agrees to it). Working for Niseko Central means your pass can live in your riding jacket and gives you the opportunity to pay the difference to upgrade to an All Mountain pass.
- For those of you who do not require a lift pass you will be offered instead a payment of ¥20,000.
- Receive your pay every 2 weeks.
- Most local employers pay monthly which can leave you eating into your savings at the start of the season.
Cost Price on Niseko Central -delivered Services
- Please see our website for more details on what we book, but this could include things like snowmobiling, back country tours, transfers and car rental.
Discounts on HTM's services
- Discounts available on bookings made by staff at HTM managed properties, GoSnow lessons and SkyExpress Transfers. Have your friends and family experience Niseko at a discount price!
Free Ski or Snowboard Lessons & Workshops
- Free ski/snowboard group lessons & workshops (availability dependent)
Potential Sponsorship in the Future
- For the best performing seasonal staff, Niseko Central will want you back and we would like to sponsor you for future seasons (provided you meet the sponsorship criteria).